FP7 consists of four Specific Programmes:
- Cooperation – concerns collaborative research in 10 priority areas.
- Ideas – European Research Council.
- People – Human Potential, Marie Curie Actions.
- Capacities – research for the benefit of SMEs and specific activities of international cooperation.
- A fifth specific programme under the Euratom Framework Programme concerns nuclear research. The non-nuclear research activities of the Joint Research Centre (JRC) are grouped under a specific programme.