The European Commission has released a communication to foster European start-ups and scale-ups to make them become Europe’s next leaders.
The Commission's “Start-up and Scale-up Initiative” brings together a range of existing and new actions to create a more coherent framework to allow start-ups to grow by addressing the three main elements:
- removing the barriers for start-ups and scale-ups concerning the regulatory and administrative rules and formalities,
- creating new opportunities,
- simplifying the procedures for access to finance.
In this new approach, the Commission attributes particular importance to intellectual property (IP) rights by underlining the fact that IP has a key role in the success of start-ups and innovative SMEs. Therefore, in line with this “Start-up and Scale-up Initiative”, a staff working document has been published on IP, where a set of IP support measures for start-ups and SMEs was put in place. These measures comprise:
- facilitating access to IP for SMEs,
- facilitating the use and enforcement of IP, and
- coordination of IP support and monitoring the impact.
For more information:
European Commission’s Communication: “Europe's next leaders: the Start-up and Scale-up Initiative”
Staff Working Document on IP: “Putting Intellectual Property at the Service of SMEs to Foster Innovation and Growth”
The European Commission's Factsheet: “A Supportive IPR Framework for SMEs and start-ups”