Due to the ongoing restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the European Patent Office (EPO) has decided to turn their regular study visit into an online event. On 13 October 2020, European university students from all disciplines will get hands-on experience of the EPO and insight into the work of EPO experts from a variety of fields to get a deeper understanding of the European patent system. This study visit will focus on the European patenting procedure and patent law as well as on recent legal developments at the EPO and artificial intelligence. In addition, information will be provided on career opportunities at the EPO.
Prior to the live online sessions, participants will be invited to study the preparatory material provided in the European Patent Academy's eLearning centre and to submit questions for the EPO experts. Participants will have the opportunity to virtually meet and talk direct with an EPO patent examiner, lawyer and HR experts.
The preparatory material includes:
- The EPO Annual Review 2019
- Work of a patent examiner – a closer look
- Introduction to the European patent system
- From application to patent: patentability requirements at the EPO
- New technologies and the patent system: patenting AI
- Career opportunities at the EPO